Thursday, May 22, 2008

Obsession or Mindfulness?

So what if my obsession with food-the thoughts of burgers dancing in my head-is really a form of mindful eating? What if spending hours thinking about future meals really helps me make better decisions? What if I just sat down in a restaurant and ordered without having gone over the possibilities in my mind beforehand? Is it worth the anxiety caused by my food clogged mind? I am thinking, "yes". I am thinking that I've stopped myself from making some pretty horrendous food choices because I've been so preoccupied with thinking about what I wanted to eat. By donating a portion of my brain to food decisions 24/7, I've avoided thousands of calories. I will try not to lament the constant dreams of pizza. Instead, I vow to continue to spend countless hours contemplating food choices as a means of controlling my otherwise uncontrollable urges for pizza and fried chicken.

No comments: