Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Someone noticed

It finally happened. What I have been waiting for since I started to lose weight. Someone noticed. Just one person. Sure the WW leader's encouragement has been great. And my husband has been telling me how "thin" I look. But I wanted the rest of the world to respond to my appearance. Are fat people really invisible? Are people so accustomed to not looking at me that they haven't noticed? Because it is noticeable. Even with my baggy shirt, it's noticeable.
Marion, who's known me at the gym for 25 years, told me ....and I quote..."You look like you've lost a lot of weight".
"A LOT OF WEIGHT". Did you read that? I look like I've lost a lot of weight! Thank you, Marion. If I never told you before, I'm telling you now. You're an observant, perspicacious, darling woman and I love you. You're my best and only friend. You looked at me and you weren't ashamed to tell me I had lost weight. You are a brave and wonderful woman.
Brave because when you tell someone she has lost weight, you are also silently telling her that she was fatter before and now she is less fat. So it's what my father used to call a backhanded compliment. Still, I'll take it. I look like I've lost a lot of weight.
Lots more weight to lose, though. I'm still "pinching" about six inches! But at my age, some of those inches are just skin and that isn't going away. I doubt I'll ever be able to "pinch an inch". Never say never.
Pardon me while I go stare at my less fat body. I want to see what Marion sees.

No comments: