Monday, July 14, 2008

More faux food

My daughter called to tell me that WW sells candy bars! She was so excited. Thought I would want to know. I don't want to know. First, I decided that I'm not really on WW, I'm just using them to weigh me and keep me honest. More importantly, if I want a candy bar, I'm eating a candy bar! A real candy bar. Not something concocted to taste like a candy bar. And I surely don't eat candy bars for anything other than pleasure. I don't care of they offer protein or fiber or are fat free or sugar free. I want flavor. So WW candy doesn't appeal to me. I don't want faux food.
I'm lucky. I don't "love" or even crave chocolate. I'm quite happy to eat a ripe peach if I want something sweet after a meal. If I crave anything, it's fried chicken, hamburgers and pizza and even those are momentary craves. I've found that the cravings disappear quickly. The few cravings I've had that have persisted-like for a juicy rare burger-I've satisfied. End of craving.
In the past, having a burger or a scoop of ice cream or a slice of pizza has led me down the path of no return. That's not happening this time. If I absolutely positively must have something, I eat it and forget about it. Move on. This way of eating has to last forever so I have to learn to deal with wants. When a want is so strong that it becomes a need, I'm going to satisfy it.
So no WW faux candy for me. No baked fried chicken! No turkey burgers! Real food only.

No comments: