Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A breakfast concoction that satisfies

I watch The Today Show most mornings for about 1/2 hour while I'm reading the newspaper and eating breakfast. I know. Reading and watching TV while eating is not a "mindful" practice. But I like multi-tasking!
So last week I saw Joy Bauer, a dietitian who is on The Today Show frequently, describe a sort of weird sounding dish: vanilla yogurt mixed with pumpkin puree. The anchor tasted it and declared it yummy but they always do that. Still, it looked good and I thought it sounded like it might actually be tasty. And filling. And, dare I say it, "healthy and low calorie". So I decided to try it.
Finding pumpkin puree after the holidays was a little difficult because most of the supermarkets were out of it. But I presevered.
I finally tried Bauer's concoction for the first time this morning and I have to admit that it was good--no, it was great. Container of fat free sugar free vanilla yogurt (100 calories) mixed with about 1/4 cup pumpkin puree (about 25 calories). No other ingredients. I suppose you could add pumpkin pie spice mix (just a very little, though) or just a light sprinkle of cinnamon or brown sugar or maybe a few chopped almonds but, to be honest, it's perfect the way it is.
Two ingredients. No cooking. No measuring. And so few calories! Vitamins, minerals, fiber, protein, carbohydrates. A bonanza of goodness.
I ate it for breakfast but the dish could easily be served as a dessert.
Thank you, Joy.

3 comments:

Christine Weithman said...

This is the kind of recipe patients in our weight program use as a way to increase their veggies. Sometimes we forget that fruits and veggies can change forms and be delicious in the new form. This is a great option for those who find the texture of some vegetables difficult - thanks for sharing!

LivingtheNutriLife said...

Yummo! I've tried this recipe before, so I can vouch for you! I'm also an RD struggling with my weight and body image. Good to know I'm not the only one out there. Keep up the good work!

Sybil Hebert, RD said...

This sounded weird but I was just in the grocery store, saw canned pumpkin and thought of this post! Just tried it and.... it's good!
Thanks! :)