Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Born thin

Every once in a while I go back over some of my earlier posts. Since this is sort of like my not so private diary, reading what I've written weeks or months ago helps me reevaluate what's been going on. A little like therapy! Remember the time I was interviewed for the article on the Surgeon General's weight? I noticed, on rereading, that I was quoted (and I'm sure I said it) as saying that I wouldn't want to be counseled by some "naturally thin" person. So, there you go. I was guilty of not realizing that no one is actually ever naturally thin. That everyone, in her way, works at it even if it is second nature to eat mindfully and healthfully. Yes, we've probably all got a set point, as someone who sent in a comment reminded me, but even if your set point is low, you could get fat. And if your set point is high, you can stay lean. True that some of us have to work harder at it than others (and those are the ones we love to hate when we see them eating burger loaded with stuff)but really everyone's gotta watch what they eat. I'm enlightened now.

No comments: