Wednesday, April 22, 2009

More on fat and fit

I'm loving working out at the Y. It's clean. It's big. There are plenty of machines. Lots of free weights. So, yes the teacher of the aerobics class is fat. But I've been looking around at the members. Because of the Medicare Silver Sneakers program, there are many "older" people at the Y. One guy who comes regularly is 99. 99 years old and he still works out! Very motivating. Anyway, I've been looking at the grey haired people who are working out and they're all pretty slim. Some are downright skinny. So I started to look around every place I go--the supermarket, restaurants, movie theaters. I'm looking for fat old people. And I haven't found any. I see some old guys with huge bellies who look to be in their 50s or 60s and a few women who are chubby grannies but most of the much older people are slender. Uh oh. That's scaring me. I'm familiar with the research on leanness and longevity but here it is in real life. I can't find any 80 year olds who are fat!

1 comment:

Chef Gwen said...

you had another epiphany, didn't you?