Monday, April 6, 2009

Fat and Fit

I just joined the YMCA closest to my house. Not in the most desirable neighborhood but I'm a former New Yorker so I'm fine with it. I joined because when I get Medicare in June, membership will be free. Free! I love that word. Free!
Today I went to an aerobics class filled with women my age, all sizes and shapes, all fit. The teacher, thank you to the powers that be, is fat. She's in her 40s and fat. Not like 400 pounds fat but maybe like 170 pounds fat. Round. Fat. I love it. She was a very competent teacher. She performed the entire class and was not any more out of breath than any fit woman would be. I love her. I love the Y. I love the class.
For once, I didn't feel like I had to make sure my t shirt covered every bulge. Sure there were slim people in the class but the teacher was fat. Did I already say that???? The teacher was fat. I'm going to take every class she teaches.

1 comment:

Chicagolandia said...

I love reading your blog!! I adore taking dancing lessons with a couple where the woman isn't a skinny mini. If she were skinny, I'd never have learned to cha-cha, mambo, tango, and foxtrot!