Thursday, December 3, 2009

Decadent Dessert

I bet the title of this post caught your eye. "Is she posting a recipe for a scrumptious caloric dessert?" Nope. Just trying to make a point. I don't like when a dish is labeled as "decadent". The implication is that you will go to hell--or more correctly, get fat--if you eat it. Decadent means full of fat and sugar and calories. It means "stay away" or accept the consequences. The word implies that it is an indulgence and that you will most certainly over indulge. And if you tell me that something is decadent, I probably will over indulge because if it's "decadent", then I'm guessing I won't have it again for a long time.
Let's be honest--cheesecake is "decadent" whereas an angel food cake is not. It's doubtful you would ever describe a slice of angel food cake as scrumptious whereas a slice of cheesecake...well, that's a horse of a different color. Isn't it?
So I'm saying that we should change our mindset about "decadent". Let's think of it as especially delicious and worth every calorie but not something that we have to be afraid of if we follow mindfulness principles. Taste it. Savor it. Enjoy it. Put it down when you've had "enough" and before it's become a "decadent" over indulgence.

No comments: