Saturday, November 15, 2008

Scarlet O'Hara and Me

To paraphrase Scarlet, "As God is my witness, I won't be hungry anymore". The truth is, I haven't been hungry....really hungry...for a long time. I head hunger off at the pass way before the feeling is strong enough to remind me to eat. Even when I'm dieting, hunger is not that much of an issue. It's the fear of hunger that is a problem. Fear that there won't be any food around when I am hungry. Or food that is "suitable" to eat. No food around? In this city? In this house? Perhaps there's no food on a flight from here to anywhere now that the airlines no longer serve meals but there's food every place else. Plenty of it. So what's my problem!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not quite sure how I got here but I have enjoyed your site. There is not an emotion I have not eaten. I had a counselor ask me one time what would happen if I did not eat when I was having an emotional moment? I said I don't know and I don't want to find out. I was really was panicked at the thought of not eating to comfort myself. It still is a trigger for me that hits me as I cook dinner. I have acknowledged it is something I need to work on, have not conquered, so I try to make it the least damaging as possible by eating veggies and dip. Maybe one day I will work on the actual problem, but right now I have to many other things to work on.