Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Another breakfast smoothie

I've been making my milk, chocolate syrup, frozen banana, frozen berries smoothie for breakfast for a few years. I don't grow tired of it. It's cold and creamy and sweet and keeps me satisfied for several hours. And....it's good for me!
I was recently doing a little research on The Biggest Loser protein powder and one thing led to another and I ended up on some site where people were sharing recipes for recovery drinks for after exercise. Since most of the protein powders you buy in the health food stores are whey based, someone decided to try a smoothie using ricotta cheese since ricotta is made from whey. Everyone on the site gave it a thumbs up.
So I added 2 tablspoons of low fat ricotta to my smoothie and YUM. Made it even creamier and sort of mellowed out the taste. Loved it. So now it's even healthier because it contains more protein and more calcium. Oh, yes, and more calories but you can't get protein without getting calories.
Since the best way to get nutrients is from real food, calories go along for the ride.
This is a fabulous drink. You can reduce the calories a bit by using powdered cocoa but you'd have to add some alternative sweetener to it because even though the strawberries and banana are sweet, it needs that little extra sweetness that comes from the syrup.

No comments: