Friday, September 18, 2009

More on The Biggest Loser

Thanks for the comments. Looks like we're all in agreement. I've been reading other dietitian blogs as well as articles online and it seems like everyone is wondering why the tough Marine tactics. Are you listening, Biggest Loser?
Each season, the contestants get bigger and bigger and reveal more of their personal stories. It was easier for me to relate at the beginning than it is now. I was crying, actually crying, when they revealed their trials and tribulations. I'm thinking that it's no wonder they turned to food for solace and I sure hope that heavy psychotherapy is included in the behind the scenes for these contestants because no amount of weight loss is going to erase the sadness the contestants have lived through.
I'll keep watching-it's a train wreck I cannot ignore. And maybe blogging about it will affect some changes in the show. Who knows. Maybe we'll learn more about the program than just the footage we get to see each week. They must shoot hundreds of hours each week but "treat" us to what they think America wants to see. I, for one, want to see them meeting with the dietitian. And how many hours (?) do they spend in the gym each day? What is a typical day? And I do want to know what happens to these people after they leave the show? Is there support from the show? Or are they abandoned?
Give me more realism in the reality show.

2 comments:

Nicole, RD said...

I think they workout 8ish hours a day with the trainers, but that's just what they've said on air. : )

Nicole

Nicole, RD said...

I think they workout 8ish hours a day with the trainers, but that's just what they've said on air. : )

Nicole